Friday, 14 July 2017

Mixed Media- Altered Embellishment

Here it is my first project as a design team member at Mixed Media Monthly for challenge #38 Altered Embellishment
This month's sponsor is
"UmWowStudio is an innovative on trend chipboard, flair & stencil manufacturer located in Las Vegas, NV. Partnering with other companies & now amazing designers our line is always expanding. Our chipboard is extra thick with a beautiful rich kraft finish ready for any medium. Our stencils come in a convenient 4x6 size & our flair is flat backed for easy application to any art."
The owner is offering a $30 gift certificate + free shipping to their site as the prize

And my creation
An under the water scene

The best part the jellyfish created using chipboard, liquid applique and alchemy paint.

I started by covering the jellyfish body with liquid applique.  I was digging around in my tool caddy and found this little gem- an oldie but goodie. Allow to dry overnight for the best result.

First thing the next morning (my eyes were barely open) zap with a heat gun and sit back to watch the magic.  The heat makes it bubble/ foam and puff up.  Looks so cool exactly the effect I was looking for.

Next I painted the jellyfish with alchemy paint- rusty red, orange, and gold.  I painted him darker around the outside edges, its looks more realistic to blend colors then one solid color.

Create a background, Lindy's spray, white gel pen, and crop a dile.  I used the crop-a-dile to punch a large cluster of holes- like bubbles under the sea.  I used blues and green and highlighted color variations with a white gel pen.

Add cluster of chipboard, painted and embossed for more sparkle and a net of natural sisal.  Now you notice most of those holes i punched are covered... or are they

I built a shadow box frame and added lights now all those "bubbles" are visible and glowing.  Makes me think of The Little Mermaid loved that movie.

Here I used alchemy purple metallic paint my friend Wendy challenged me with purple paint- she knows I do not like purple.  I embossed with Lindy's angel wings- gives it that iridescent coloring.

Added some melange clear bubbles as a final touch.  
Now what to do with it my friend Jen said it would look good in a bathroom.

Happy Mid Month.

Whoo hoo follower count- 78  I just may make it to 100 by the end of year.











5 comments:

  1. I love this project! That liquid applique is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool and special project! I'd love to know a bit about how you achieved this effect and what products you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the chipboard used in project are available on my etsy store
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/boozybear?ref=search_shop_redirect
    To create the 2D effect on jellyfish I used liquid applique, here is a link
    http://www.uchida.com/p-64-liquid-applique.aspx
    I painted chipboard with Alchemy Paints (Prima/Finnabair) I like the metallic finish. Te background was created with Lindy's color spray, I dribble the color on the edge of paper and lifted paper vertically then spray with water and allow to drip down, I started with one color, dry then add the next color. To highlight the color variations i drew around with a white gel pen. I used 3D gel to adhere everything so it has dimensions not flat. The lights behind are the mini lights from Prima, I build the shadow box from chipboard this i just winged. Hope this helps
    glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your jellyfish is amazing and so clever. Love your creation.

    ReplyDelete